Followers

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday's Talk - Why Coupon?

I thought I might write an article about why I coupon and shop the sales and why I think it's so important.

First of all, I believe that it is good stewardship of what God has given us. Everything we have is His, most importantly we are His! If we don't take care of the things He has given us, we can't truly say that we respect him. Also, His Word calls us to be Good Stewards of His possessions. If you read Matthew 25 about the 5 talents. The servant that was blessed greatly was the one that used what he had the most wisely. Those that wasted it, or didn't use the talent, got nothing in return. I think this can apply both literally in the financial way, and spiritually.

My favorite scripture about stewardship is I Corinthians 4:1-2. "Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful." (King James Version) We need to be faithful in all we do, in our house, our money, or possessions, or children.... everything!

I started as a Stay-At-Home-Mom 13 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. I was a professional working a full-time job, but when I figured the costs of working, childcare, car repair, gas, clothing, etc. that comes from having a full-time job, it wasn't worth it. After all the expenses were subtracted from my income, I only made $100 extra a month. It was at that point that my husband and I decided to have me at home to raise our children. I could find a way to either make an extra $100 without going to work through direct sales (www.mycmsite.com/doristowell) or I could save that much in groceries, clothes, etc. For $100, I could find a way to make it happen.

So here I am, 13 years later, with no regrets where my children are concerned. Occasionally, I have worked an opposite shift from my husband or done a side job here and there, but for the most part, I have personally raised my own children alongside my husband. Sure we have made sacrifices, but every one was worth it. We don't drive new cars and we get our clothes at rummage sales, but we have done it on one income - creatively!

I generally save between $40-$160 a week, just in groceries. If you were to only save $50 a week in groceries, you would be saving $200 a month, or $2400 a year! Even if staying home is not what you need to save for, maybe it's a vacation you would like, or a new washer or dryer. Some women would love to have an extra $50 a week for a date night with their husband. Whatever your motivation, saving truly pays off, both spiritually and financially. Start today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!