Followers

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rhubarb Galore!

What does one do with 55 cups of rhubarb that was given to you?  Why make jelly!  And Bread!  And Freeze it for the future!  Yippee!And then you make more jelly!  We love rhubarb jelly more than all the others I make, so there never seems to be enough of it around.  I will share my rhubarb jelly recipe: (taken from Recipezaar)

Rhubarb Raz Jelly
Makes 3 pints

5 cups rhubarb - cut in 1/2 - 1 inch pieces
3cups sugar
1 (3oz.) package raspberry Jell-O gelatin


  1. Place rhubarb and sugar in enamel or stainless steel bowl (I use my cooking pot), mix well, cover, and let stand overnight.

  2. Next morning bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer, stirring constantly, for ten minutes.

  3. Remove from heat, stir in jello. 

  4. Fill hot, sterilized jars to 1/2" from top.

  5. Place seal on jar, and tighten ring.

  6. Turn jar upside down on towel-covered surface for about 15 minutes.

  7. Turn jar right side up, to cool and seal to set and pop.
Just a note - I have been tripling the recipe, and add an extra box of Jello.  I had a batch come out kind of runny to my liking, so I added an extra Jello to make it set.  Also, I tried Cherry Jello and it's wonderful!

I am linking up to:

7 comments:

  1. Ever have rhubarb butter? Excellent! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had rhubarb butter - please share the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made and canned strawberry jam for the first time. I would love to try rhubarb! Did you have to boil the jars in a canning pot to get them to seal? I would love to learn how to skip that step!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar to apple butter.

    Ingredients

    2 cups rhubarb, chopped
    2 TBS lemon juice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup water
    1 TBS corn starch



    Directions
    Add all ingredients except the corn starch to a sauce pan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cover. Continue cooking until rhubarb is tender. Mash rhubarb. Dissolve cornstarch in a small amount of water and add to sauce pan. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool. It will continue to thicken as it cools.

    Use as a topping for pancakes, waffles, French toast, or ice cream; use as a spread on toast, bagels, or muffins; use as a glaze for baked chicken or pork.

    Makes about 1 1/2 cups or 12 servings of 2 TBS each.

    (Use honey to sweeten to taste, cutting back on brown sugar>)
    (The longer it is cooked, the better it gets!)
    Best on homemade toast for breakfast>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use sterile, hot jars and put the lids in a boiling pot of water to activate. Tipping them upside down for 15 minutes makes the lid seal. I'm not sure that Extension really promotes this type of sealing of the jars, but this is not the first jam or jelly recipe that has directed me to make it that way. We've never gotten sick or had a jelly go bad on us for the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fantastic! Do you have a recipe for strawberry jam? I am going strawberry picking and would love to make some! :)
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious!!! Mmmm maybe I'll try it, never made anything like this, but I just gotta have some!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!