Followers

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Lady in Waiting" Book Review

+Lady in Waiting: A Novel"Lady in Waiting" by Susan Meissner was a fantastic, edge-of-your seat, read.  I read the cover when I received this and could barely put it down to get my housework done.  This novel is about two different Janes, one of today, Jane Lindsey that is struggling with her marriage of 22 years and the other of the sixteenth-century, Lady Jane Grey whose story is told by her dressmaker, Lucy Day. 

I found myself torn between both Janes and almost distraught to leave one to read on of the other!  Susan Meissner crafted this book so fabulously that you couldn't wait to come back to each woman's life.  I felt like I was struggling in a long-time marriage of today's Jane Lindsey and finding myself with few choices of the Lady Jane Grey of the past.  Both woman were believable and relateable to anyone. 

When I first began this book, I was disappointed (almost as much as Jane was with her husband) that this Christian book was taking a turn of divorce.  I really wanted to be able to pass this book on to my 12-year-old daughter to read, but felt that divorce was not an appropriate content for her to read about.  I sat on the edge of my seat and almost cried with Jane as her marriage seemed to be falling apart. 

On the other hand, Lady Jane at a young age, found herself as a pawn in her parents and other important figures of the sixteenth-century political and religious battles.  Lady Jane knew that she had no choice in her marriage arrangement, but prayed for a betrothal to the one man she loves.  This man gave her a ring.  This same ring is later purchased at a jumble sale in London by Jane Lindsey's contact for her antique store.  Jane Lindsey pursues the story behind this ring and learns not only of Lady Jane, but of her own life and choices that she has.

 In the end, I found this story to be quite endearing and appropriate for a young girl to read.  It taught about the unseen choices that all women have in their lives, whether today or in the sixteenth-century.  The details in the book are so vivid, that you feel like you are right next to both of the Janes.  Susan Meissner has definitely developed a fan in me and I will definitely seek out her other books.

Thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing company for providing this book free for my review!

You can read the first four chapters of the book here.  I would love it if you would rank my review right here, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!