Followers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pizza Burgers

We got a call one evening this last week asking if we'd like some leftover food from a church meeting.  It was catered from Famous Dave's.  We got this huge pan of baked beans, one of potato salad and two flats of buns.  Well, believe me, we felt like this was a true blessing, but we realized that we couldn't get rid of that much potato salad before it spoiled, so we took out an ice cream pail full of salad and several containers of the beans (to freeze for later) and then half the buns.  We then called some friends that have 8 kids and asked if they would take the rest. 

Well, then, I needed to deal with all the buns.  Our family was given these for a meal just after having a baby by a good friend and loved them so much!  Better yet, included in the bag was the recipe!  I thought I would share these pizza burgers with you because when you get a good deal on buns (we have a Warehouse Grocery in town that had packages of buns for $.25 once!  Believe me, I bought a whole bunch!)  Anyway, the recipe calls for English muffins, but we received them with buns and have made them that way since.  We also have tweaked it a little. 

Pizza Burgers

  • 9 Hamburger Buns
  • Jar of Cheese Whiz
  • 1 1/2 pounds of Ground Turkey
  • 1 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1 Tbsp. dry minced onion
  • 15 oz. can pizza sauce (I substitute spaghetti sauce for this)
  • 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cook the meat with the garlic salt and onion.  When fully cooked, add the pizza or spaghetti sauce.

Spread the cheese whiz on each half of the buns.  We do this pretty thinly to make it last.  It is the most expensive item for this recipe, but we love the taste!
Next spoon the burger over the top and smash it flat on the bun.

Finally, sprinkle cheese on top.  We probably use a little less than the recipe - it just depends.  Freeze all the burgers on cookie sheets until solid.
Once the burgers are frozen bag up and keep in the freezer.  You can wrap them individually in foil to bake as needed, but with 7 in the family, we find that it's easier to just put them in bags and pull out a bunch at a time. 

When you want to use them, just bake at 350 until hot and cheese is melted. 

These are great when you are in a rush between activities or can't decide what to make for a meal.  The kids can hardly wait to eat these!  By the way, we made 52 of them with the free buns!  For those on Weight Watchers - three burgers are 15 points.  I eat 2 for 10.  I know, kind of high, but I LOVE them!

Don't forget to check out all those great blogs to the right that I like to link up to!

5 comments:

  1. I have two boys that would love this! What a great post. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is GREAT! We are going to do this with my little girl! She will LOVE being able to have them readily for dinner...
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing idea. I am definitely saving this for those nights when I need a quick dinner. Hope to see you at DIY Home Sweet Home on Monday for More The Merrier Mondays Link Party.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh i luv this it's one of those that you say to yourself why didn't I think of that?
    would luv for you to add it to our linking party this week.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/03/orange-blossoms-with-linking-party.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy! pizza and burgers.. my faves! thanks for linking up! I look forward to seeing you this week again!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!