Followers

Friday, April 22, 2011

Food Storage Jars

I have absolutely loved many of the open kitchen storage ideas in bloggerland, but know that I tend to have a tendancy to clutter things up.  I just don't think that I can keep things really need and orderly if it's out in the open.  Well, I've been trying to figure out where to put all my stock-piled food.  I have filled every nick and cranny I can find, and can't stand the mess it is!  I want organization!


So, I decided to try to use that empty space above the cupboard in my kitchen.  I figure if I keep everything the same, it won't seem so cluttered...at least that's my hypothesis.  Mind you, this will be an ongoing project, as you will soon see. 

My next step was to try to find some reasonably priced jars for storage.  I checked everywhere and found them to be about 2 quarts in size and $5-$8 each in price!  So, I had to think some more - what I had in mind would be too much money for me!  Then - aha!  I found these in Wal-mart:They are a gallon jar and the cost is only $4.98 with the pickles included.  This is where it time comes in - we can only eat so many pickles at a time!  (And they are huge!)  So, I have been buying two jars when we finish one in hopes that I will eventually get enough jars to fill the top of my kitchen cabinets.
To help me keep track of things, I decided to experiment with chalkboard paint.  I tried two different versions with the paint to see which I prefer.  I used these Avery shipping labels for the computer and just put two coats of chalkboard paint on them.
I taped off one of the jars to paint directly on the jar to see how that worked too.  It took two coats of paint to get full coverage.



Here's a look at the jars on the top of my cabinet.Also, a close-up of what they look like.  The left jar is the one painted directly on the jar and the right one is the sticker.  I have to say that I prefer the sticker, because it looks more clean and uniform in shape.  The edges of the paint directly on the jar are a little rough looking.

I still have to paint all the lids white, but I am waiting for it to stop being in the 30's outside!  (Oh, and snowing, too!)   I'm going to watch for one of those chalk pens, too.  Besides that, we just need to eat a ton of pickles!! 

5 comments:

  1. I love those big pickle jars! We get them at Winco for under $3.oo and my family plows through them. For Christmas I wrapped them with twine and gave them as gifts ... Now I know my next project: Chalkboard paint! Thanks for the tip on using the label!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never considered chalkboard paint to label jars. I always just stick new labels over the old or peel them off and start over. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I have been using a thin line marker & writing on smaller labels & sticking those on the jars. It looks nice & neat, but I have some spray chalkboard paint, too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I save all my jars for storage. I especially love the big ones but it's so true- it takes a long time to eat all those pickles. We're actually finishing off a jar now- almost done! I just love the sticker idea- I would never have thought about that - it's brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I have a jar from one of the Harry & David pepper jellies that we received as a gift soaking in the sink right now... the 12oz jars are perfect for storing buttons and they have plain black lids. I'm definitely going to paint some labels with chalkboard paint for them. Not really because I need to label my buttons, but because it'll look cute! Thank you for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!