I love Eggplant Parmesan, but my family is not as big of fans as I am. I was very excited when we received Eggplants in our CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) box included Eggplant this last week. Now I had an excuse to make it - we had to use up our eggplant. Well, I ran across a new recipe on the the Westby Parmesan Cheese jar. I am sharing it with you, because it got rave reviews from everyone in my family! Even Mr. Right loved it and had seconds - which says a lot! Unfortunately, all I have for photos is a picture of it partly gone in the pan and on a plate, because we were half way through dinner when we decided that it was really noteworthy! I hope you don't mind. I will let you know what adjustments I made.Here's the recipe:
- 2 large Eggplant (the recipe called for one, but I used two)
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce - I used a quart of homemade canned tomatoes
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic powder
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Dried Basil
- 8 oz. shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Fry on both sides in skillet in hot oil until browned. Drain well on paper towels.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices in a shallow baking dish; cover with some tomato sauce, a sprinkling of basil and garlic powder, a little Parmesan cheese, and a little of Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered, at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy! Yummy! The recipe as is, is 9 points on Weight Watchers Points Plus. If you can cut the Olive Oil down to 1/2 cup, it would be only 7 points with 8 servings.
Oh - I want to mention our CSA farm. You can go to their blog, where you can look up a ton of their recipes by ingredient here: Old Oak Family Farm. It's a great resource for recipes!