Followers

Sunday, October 9, 2011

31 Days of Handmade Christmas Gifts: Day 9 - Candy



 The first year that I stayed home with our newborn son, I decided that I would do a tradition that my Grandmother used to do as a stay-at-home mom - bake over 100 different kinds of cookies for Christmas!  Well, I'm sure many of you are already chuckling at that thought already, but I really thought that I could do it.  My Grandmother always started at thanksgiving and baked a few different kinds every day up until Christmas.

That first year, I only got 12 different kinds and thought that it was impossible to achieve.  Well, today, I can tell you that my all-time high is 30!  I think the only reason my Grandmother could make so many is that she made a single batch of each kind.  I know I just can't make that many on double batches.  Well, a single batch isn't enough for our family, and we don't have enough time to bake that much between homeschooling and all of our other holiday activities.  But - we can carry on one tradition of Grandma:  making people happy through food!

We've made cookies and candies two different ways.  We've made 30 different kinds of cookies and split them up on plates for our friends and family for a gift and then we have made one to three, really good recipes and given a whole plate or box of the that one kind of cookie or candy.I challenge you to find a really good recipe that you and your family enjoy to share with others this Christmas for a Handmade Christmas Gift.  I am going to share with you here my favorite, and one that really was a hit last year - Oreo Balls.  They are the white ones on the right of the picture.

Oreo Balls
  • 1 package of regular Oreo cookies (I have used generic for this)
  • 8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1 cup white chips
  • 1/2 tsp. shortening
  1. Crush the Oreos in the food processor.
  2. Mix Oreos and cream cheese until it is a firm dough.
  3. Form dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Freeze for 1 hour.
  4. Melt chocolate in double broiler or microwave with 1/2 tsp. shortening.  Mix and heat until smooth.
  5. Dip balls into chocolate and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.  Freeze or refrigerate until chocolate hardens.  Keep in refrigerator.
These make a special gift for any chocolate lover!  Maybe you have some favorites, too - please share!

Make sure you check out those blogs in my left column that I love to link up to.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can not wait until Christmas... I want Oreo balls... I have missed them!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!