Followers

Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days of Handmade Christmas Gifts: Day 13 - Jar Mixes

Day 13 - I hope you aren't superstitious - I know that I'm not.  I made this gift up and had to wonder why I don't make these more often!  It is so easy and so inexpensive to make, but wonderful to receive: Jar Mixes.

This one is a recipe I had, but you can use whatever recipes you want.  There are hundreds of them on the Internet and in books.  The most important advice that I can give you is to make sure that you make the actual recipe and try it before giving it to other people.  I've had enough of these recipes that don't taste good, to have learned my lesson.

Chocolate chip cookies really don't take a lot of ingredients and are loved by almost everyone!  I use my canning funnel to get the ingredients into the jar, but I highly recommend using a wide mouth jar, so it's easier to get out too!  One year for Christmas, I used antique blue jars, and everything thought I would want them back!  I actually felt like the jar was part of the gift - even if they cost $5 in the store, the whole gift was under $10 for the gift!

A ribbon tied into a bow and a tag with the recipe make this a great handmade gift!  I hand wrote the tag, because I felt it added a nice touch, but you could print it out too.

Yummy!
So for the recipe:  Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix

2 C. Flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
1 1/2 C. semisweet chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda.  In a 1 quart wide-mouth canning jar, layer the brown sugar, white sugar, chocolate chips and flour mixture.  Attach a card with the following directions:

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the cookie mix.  In a separate bowl, cream 1 cup of margarine until light and fluffy.  Beat in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Mix in the cookie mix.  Drop teaspoonfuls of dough, spaced well apart, onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on wire racks.  Yields 4 dozen.

Hope you enjoy this one!  Please check out the blogs that I love to link up to in the right column.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!