Followers

Monday, March 12, 2012

Upcycled Spoons

My son has been awarded an International trip to Japan through 4-H. While we are very excited (and nervous) to have him spend 2 months in Japan, it's taking quite a bit of fund-raising! A lot of fund-raising, in fact!

As we were talking about some of our options for raising money for this trip and we decided to use our talents to raise the money. We love to craft and recycle things! One of the things we've been making and selling are Plant markers made from recycled spoons.  I've wanted to make these for a long time, because I love the thought of reusing plant markers over and over, I struggled finding something that would actually keep the name on it year after year.
Aren't they cute?  I thought this would be a project that I would do by myself, and then I got a hammer out and tried to smash those spoons on the driveway.  Needless to say, I did need the brawn of my son and Mr. Right to make a dent!    We then use a letter press to imprint the letters in the spoon.  My son added Sharpie to the letters to make them stand out.

We have sold these at the Farmers Market and craft shows, and the funny thing I hear are people that say they will make these themselves.  Trust me, it's easier and cheaper to just buy them from my son and have it go to a good cause.  We have gotten many great reviews about these markers.  They would make a wonderful Mother's Day gift or Easter gift for the gardener.

We have them listed in our Etsy Shop.  We are happy to make them special order also, for $3.  Myself, I love putting the name of the perennials in my yard on them, so that I can remember what I put there. 

It is really hard to take a picture of shiny things, but just wanted you to get an idea of what these look like.  Please consider supporting a 4-Her by purchasing anything in my shop or contacting us directly for special orders!  Thanks!

I am linking up to the blogs I love in the right column!  Give them some love!
Pinterest Link Up

8 comments:

  1. These are really cute. I just bought some stamps and am practicing with them. Any tips on how to line up letters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, didn't respond directly, at first. But it adds to the character to have it turn out a little different. You can mark it with a Sharpie and rub off the sharpie with steel wool. We did lose a spoon or two in the process!

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! I need to make some for my pots and garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you could support a 4-Her by purchasing them!

      Delete
  3. Be prepared for the "country" look of it, I guess. You can draw on them with sharpie and wipe it off with steel wool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read an article today that was from California. Apparently, these are the new hot thing for this year! The link came from the Yahoo front page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make some of these! They are awesome! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!