Thursday, September 23, 2010

Watermelon Fiasco

Well, I reported in the early spring here about our gardening projects and thought I'd share with you our funny outcome.  We have been so busy with the harvesting and putting things up that I haven't gotten a chance to share with you.  

Needless to say, we have been watching this grow in our garden for the summer.  In fact, my son was so excited that he was going to get a beautiful watermelon to eat.  (I thought it was a watermelon, too.)  Up until a few weeks ago, it was green with stripes, just like a melon.

Then it started to yellow and thought we had missed the window of having this wonderful fruit.  My son brought it in from the garden to ask if it was spoiled.  I told him that we could only tell by cutting into, fully expecting to find rotten melon, I cut it open.
It looked nothing like a melon.  Mr. Right tried to tell me it was a melon that turned bad or defective, but we were able to convince him that it was in the squash family.
So, we at it today for lunch and found it to be really good.  Does anyone know what kind of squash this is?  We may just call them Watermelon Squash!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Baby Nesting Project #4 - Burp Clothes

I have to admit on this project, I was very excited to do this one, but I probably made my biggest mistakes on it, too.  I saw these burp clothes that were hand made at Homemade by Jill.  This tutorial was wonderful!  Were my problem ability to have the patience to read through the directions thoroughly! 
My first thing that I had thought to make these a little less expensive to make was to buy a flannel receiving blanket at a rummage sale for a quarter.  It was pink, so I figured that it would work great for one side of the burp clothes.  I would never do this for a gift for someone else, but figured for our own use, I am fine with a gently re-used material.So, I used the printable pattern and cut out 8 burp clothes from the material that I had leftover from the baby rag quilt that my daughter made and from the blanket.  My thought as I was making these, was that they were sort of small, but since I have never had a really big burpers for kids, I wouldn't need much. 

This was when I went back and re-read the directions and realized that I should have saved the pattern to my hard drive first and then printed it out, resulting in a much bigger size!   This was the point where (in my hormonal pregnant state) I almost cried, because I had used up all of the blanket and almost all of the flannel I had on hand. 
So, I decided to make lemonade out of the lemons I had created!  Since I had mostly strips of the material left from the blanket, I pieced the strips together to make enough material to cut out three more burp clothes.  In actuality, I really like the pieced clothes better because they are more interesting.  In the picture, you can see the three normal sized burp clothes and the right one and pile of burp clothes are the mini-version.  I'm way too frugal not to use them all, but of course, will be making the ones on the right for gifts for others.

I'm linking up to: