Followers

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Recycled Headboard Bench

I found this in front of someone's house on the day before garbage day.  I couldn't resist it because it was free and because it had such great bones to it!  My husband was not pleased with this find, it meant work and it meant storing it until we got around to the project.  My 13-year-old thought I was crazy, but my real plan was to use this for a project for him for the county fair.  We have a category at the fair for recycling and the local power company gives cash prizes for the top three in recycling in each category.  Because there aren't many in the county entering, both of my kids have been able to get between $10-$25 each year.  This in turn has created an eagerness in my 13 yo and 11 yo to find great projects to make!
I have seen people make benches out of the headboard and footboards before, but just haven't quite lucked out in finding the free perfect set!
This was actually very simple to make, once I got my son and my hubby on the same page.   (Yes, it might have been quicker to just do it myself, but I really liked the idea have having one of their projects done for the fair!)  My son measured the footboard and cut it down the center.  He then screwed each half to the outside of the headboard.  Then some careful measuring and some L-brackets went on to hold the front board in place from one of the side rails of the bed.  My son also took an extra piece of scrap wood to make a cleat across the headboard to set the slats of the bench on.The final step was to use the rest of the side rails and some extra scrap wood for the rest of the slats on the bench.  Those were nailed into place.  Then a good sanding (this is for the fair you know...if it were just me, I would have just primed and painted)
I chose black paint for it.  We used the cheap ($.96 a can Wal-mart brand) of black indoor/outdoor spray paint.  I think the end result is just adorable.  My son is trying to fundraise for an exchange trip to Japan, so we were thinking about making more of these to sell.  How much do you think that they would sell for?  I would love to hear your input.  I was thinking somewhere between $50-$100, but am not sure.  (When my son heard about that, he suddenly really was enjoying spray painting, and the pain in his fingers stopped suddenly!  It's nice how quickly they can get motivated by money!)

I'm linking up to:

18 comments:

  1. Wow that really turned out great!! Such a faboulously adorable re-do. How fun for you kids to get involved and win some money from your great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've so been wanting to make one of these, seen them everywhere but wasn't sure if I could pull it off, your post makes me confident, this looks awesome! Hope your kids win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that could sell for $150-$200. I love that you included your kids in the project, you all did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous makeover! Coming over from Blue Cricket Design and a happy new follower. Such a great makeover!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job! Just stopped by from The Thrifty Home. It's a wonderful use of materials. I would love to make a headboard bench now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great job! This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is so beautiful! It really is great to be able to do such a project like that with your kids- free, and with such a beautiful end result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great makeover. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! This is the second headboard bench I've seen on Creative Cats this morning. I lOVE it since I am trying to figure out how to do it myself! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to make one of these & just never took the time to figure it all out. Now me being me, I would decoupage flowers or something 'antique-y' on the back middle since I can't paint. I think you could sell tons of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute...I love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out great. I have a headboard I have been saving to make a bench out of, I don't have a footboard for it but I figured I could still do it. Yours looks so cute,it got me excited about doing it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bench turned out great. Thanks for sharing. Dropping by from BNOTP.

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely delightful! What a great project... and very well done! I hopped over from Between Naps on the Porch and am so happy that I did! Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place when you get a moment. I have become a follower and hope you'll do the same...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your son did a great job on the bench! What a way to turn trash into a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm featuring you at tomorrow's Penny Pinching Party. Stop by and grab an "I Was Featured" button if you like.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!