Followers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Laundry Pedestal & Floor Sneak Peek

Mr. Right has been really busy lately (OK, I've been helping, too!).  I've meant to share this earlier, but I never got around to taking pictures before.  I have a front loading washer and dryer, but don't have the money or the want to spend money on the pedestal drawers.  Then I saw this great tutorial over at Stories of a House.  Boy, the drawings and measurements are phenomenal!  You should check it out.  

Anyway, I didn't have enough room to put that tall of one in, because I didn't want to move the cupboards and this is in a hallway.  Mr. Right had to make his own measurements to get it in there.  We were trying to put them as close to the bottom cupboard without changing the structure.

This last weekend, we started to put in new floors (here's your sneak peek!  I'll do a post on that with more details when we're done.), so everything had to come out and get cleaned, etc.  Some people do spring cleaning, but we paint and replace the floors.  I'll let you know if it ever gets put back, but Mr. Right is doing a really wonderful job!

That hole you see on the far back right, is for the dryer vent to go out the wall.  Again, we were trying to work with what we have there.

Here's a view with the appliances in.  I actually gained about 4 inches in my hallway, because the dryer vent goes straight out the bottom, rather than out the back, causing the whole set up to be moved out in the hall.

One word the wise, if you do this project, make sure to buy your baskets first!  This would have saved us several trips to different stores to find baskets that fit in the spot.  I thought that I could fit three of them down there, but because of the vent, only two fit.  The third basket, I put on the top of the washer under the hangers.  It fits there perfectly.

A view from the other side shows you that bar for the hangers.  At some point, I'd like to change that out for some sort of rack for drying things.  Still working on that concept though.

We had everything but the trim on hand from other projects, so it cost less than $10 to build.  Not bad!  Please visit all the blogs I love to link up to on the Right bar and also, leave me some comments, so I know what you think!

10 comments:

  1. I've seen lots of people doing this. We got our front loaders about 9-10 years ago with the intent to go back and buy the drawer pedestals--NEVER did. I have cabinets over the top of my washer dryer-- but would love this, as the older I get I hate bending and stooping!
    Hmmm... now seeing yours, Yet, another washroom job well done-- I'm thinking we just need to build one of these platforms!
    Yours is great and thanks for the tip on buying the baskets first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your platform looks awesome! I have the metal ones that came with our washer and dryer and I NEVER use them~I think something more open like this would be lots handier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job..and the storage under should come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I was just telling my husband that he could make a pedestal for our washer and dryer (he would rather just buy a brand new w&d!). Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing idea. Too bad I have a top load washer. I would love for you to share it on More The Merrier Monday's Link Party!!

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I can't wait to build one in our new house too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! If I had a space like that I might even LIKE to do laundry! Mine is in the dungeon (basement) yuck!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! The best part that I like about this project is its price. Well done!
    Thank you for linking to my Handmade Monday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hiya , great project i love adding storage wherever i can tfs i am visiting from amaze me mondays and am your newest follower hope you will stop by mine and follow me too
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  10. The floor's looking good! Good luck with that! You did a great job on that pedestal, too! Oh, thanks for the link to that tutorial, by the way. =D

    Kathy Carbone

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!