Followers

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shelf Redo

I had been thinking for a long time about taking my bathroom towel rod down and putting up hooks.  After all, with 5 kids, it was impossible to hang up every one's towels at one time!  I was washing new towels every time that the kids bathed, because they never dried.  I was in Goodwill one day, and I got this shelf with hooks on it for the half price ticket of $3.50!  I was so excited and felt that I had hit the jackpot, except for the very ugly stenciling on it!Well, a fresh coat of white paint and it looked brand new!

I then decided to label the hooks so no one gets confused.  I used the Creative Memories Creative Cuts to cut out numbers 1-5 out of brown-toned papers (to match my bathroom).   Then, to the Mod Podge!!!  You gotta love that stuff!

Yes, I know, I'm not quite sure how to decorate this thing.  That shelf is so short, that I can't figure out what to put there, and yet not really care about what the kids do to it.  Any ideas???  Please?

A closer look at those numbers.  I think that when I get new towels, chocolate brown ones, I am going to sew a ribbon loop on each of them, so they don't slip off.

And while I am asking for help, I was wondering if any of you  know what this is.  It is ceramic and the two little boys are separate pieces.  My Grandmother had it in her china cabinet when I was a child.  She had nothing else like it really in that cabinet.  I was fascinated with it, and when she passed away, it was given to me.  I was just curious.   I would never get rid of it, but was wondering where it might have come from.

16 comments:

  1. Love this! Very creative! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good score on the shelf and great use of it!

    Maybe you could try a picture frame sitting on the shelf, leaning on the wall, with that candle holder next to it and slightly in front of it, and maybe just a container of some sort(something indestructable, lol) with some green ivy in it that has a little height to it but also trails along the shelf as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 4 kids, and I feel ya on hanging towels! I might have to try this!

    http://lanis-hammertime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this. Great way to keep everybody organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ceramic piece is so charming....I wish I knew something about it to tell you. :-) Lovely refinishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute. Thank you so much for the inspiration. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party on Monday.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great redo. If you are worried about items falling off the shelf, there is a product in the florist supply section of places like Joann's called cling. It is a white putty type stuff to put on the bottom of items so they will not move. It is easy to remove when you want to change out items. I am a florist and use it often. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi !
    Not sure about your little guys in the tub, sure are cute ....
    I love your shelf. Towel racks are over rated, love the pegs !
    Hugs and have a great week,
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh great idea! Now I am imagining this in my girls bathroom, but I think I'll do initials instead of numbers

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great metamorphosis! Well done.

    I am having a hilarious Linky party with prizes this Wednesday. Details are on my blog today.
    I hope you'll join in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I found your blog at the DIY Showoff. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest (and 100th!!!) follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with these prints!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great re-do! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie last week! I can't wait to see what you have for this week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. great re-do! thanks for linking up and I hope to see you again this week! ^^)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Thanks for your feedback!